Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, June 16, 2014

School Board Candidates

There are four people who will be on the primary ballot for a position on the Rich County School Board.  The primary election will be held on June 24 at regular polling places or early voting at the Rich County Courthouse.

In alphabetical order the four candidates are:

Tammy Calder


Tamalyn E. Calder
Hello residents of Rich County.  For those of you who don't know me, my 
name is Tammy Calder (Tamalyn E. Calder on the ballot) and I am running
for school board member in the Garden City precinct. 

I have served on the Rich School Board for 16 years and would love to continue to serve you and your children for another term.  There is a common theme in the political arena at this time that it is "time for change", and I couldn't agree more.  There is ample room for both change and improvement in many of our governing bodies.  With that in mind, I am asking you to re-elect me at this time because of my stability,experience, and desire to offer our children the best education possible
in this ever-changing and challenging world.

I believe strongly in keeping a small-town atmosphere and work ethic in our schools, while still preparing our students to compete in a global work force. I bring a "feminine" view point to our current board that includes four male counterparts, which is important in decision making. 

I do not believe in making political promises to sway your vote.  I will tell you that I will do everything in my power to make the best choices possible in educating our children, spending our tax dollars wisely, keeping a balanced budget, and constantly monitoring policies and procedures while making changes when necessary.  I am more than happy to listen to your concerns and discuss alternatives to current methods of instruction. 

I believe our administration and teaching staff is second to none and that they truly have the best interest of educating our children foremost in their minds and in their hearts.  I have lived in
this community since 1983 and am proud to call it "home".

Lastly, I would like to ask everyone to come out and vote in the primary election on June 24, 2014.  Traditionally, primary elections have very small turnouts.  With four of us running for this single school board position, it is important to get as much representation as possible.  I would appreciate your vote of trust and confidence in serving you with another term on the Rich School Board.  Thank you.

Bryce Huefner

I recognize the impact a local school board has on the education of its children.  It is a solomn duty and honor to hold such trust of the people.

As many of my friends and neighbors in the community know, I am very concerned about the education of our youth.

There are several things I would like to work for if elected:  1) Work to keep the federal government out of our school district.  The constitution of the United States of America expressly prohibits programs like Common Core and federal school lunch programs and we shouldn't allow the federal government to have power over our lives or our childrens' lives by taking money from "them".  2)  I will work to see more input by parents, also known as constituents.  We have felt for years that the school board represents the administration and teachers not those who elected the board.  3)  I will bring some business ideas to the table that can save money and improve the education.  4)  I will be tough but fair to employees in the district.

I say tough because I will work to have the boards' benefits; pay reduced to $0 then the board can require tough changes by the administration and other employees.  I say fair because I realize people rely on equitable treatment when providing a service for pay.  


Andy Stokes









Tiffany Wahlberg
My name is Tiffany M. Wahlberg.  I attended Utah State University where I earned my Bachelor’s in Accounting and a Master of Accountancy.  While living in Logan I worked for two large accounting firms.  In 2002, my husband and I moved to Garden City, where I opened my own accounting practice.  As a CPA, I assist individuals, businesses and governmental entities with budgeting, tracking finances, and meeting filing and other legal requirements.
My husband and I have four children, three of which will attend Rich County Schools next year.  Their education is very important to us.  A good education lays the foundation for a successful, happy life.  It paves the way for a successful career.  I am running for the position of Rich County School District Board Member to ensure that my children receive the best education possible, while building friendships and enjoying extra-curricular activities.
The school board's responsibilities include adopting policies to set the vision and goals for the district; helping the district achieve those goals; hiring the superintendent, teachers, and other employees of the district; and adopting and overseeing the annual budget.  As you can see, the school plays a very important role in providing a quality educational environment.  In working with other governmental entities, I have assisted them in very similar roles.  My experience in these areas would be a very valuable asset to the school district and community.  When hiring employees, it is important to review all candidates to ensure that the individual hired not only meets, but exceeds the minimum qualifications.
Every child is unique.  Each has their own strengths, weaknesses, challenges, and hobbies.  Schools should offer opportunities for each child to grow and thrive.  Curriculum should allow for adaptation to meet those challenges and strengths.  Courses and extra-curricular activities should be offered that provide a variety of opportunities.  Staff should be hired who are prepared and committed to helping each and every child excel.
Because the school board does play such an important role in a child’s education, it is very important to work closely with parents and others in the community.  Transparency in government is not only desirable, but required by state and federal laws.  As a member of the school board, I will push to have all meetings open whenever possible, ensure meetings are only closed when allowed by law, encourage public input at meetings and on important decisions, and encourage publishing meeting agendas and minutes on the website
.
Please remember to vote in the upcoming primary for both school board and county commissioner.  Thank you for your vote.

No comments: