Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, June 9, 2014

The Muddled Male


Paranoia
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

         I have been struggling this week to put together a true event in my life that would be a subtle admission that I am a muddled male without making me look too bad in comparison to Ann, my wife, who struggles to keep me among the living by sharing secrets with our dentist in an attempt to get him to lecture me about my eating habits while my mouth is full of dental tools and I can’t do anything but lay there and listen while he stands over me waving a high speed drill and a needle with which he inflicts pain while claiming that he is doing it to prevent pain.

            What Ann doesn’t realize is that I can hear everything she says concerning my addiction to French fries and pop because I am strapped in the chair across the half-wall from the chair in which she sits elucidating my flaws.  I guess this came to mind tonight because I am schedule for an expensive, multiple gold-crown replacement this week at which time I am likely to receive another lecture at the instigation of my wife.  I know this will happen because I received a preview of her current concerns when we went together to visit with DJ, our doctor, to get our annual checkup at which time she again recited my culinary sins.

            But what I had planned to share has to do with what Ann calls my paranoia.  I spent, you see, fifty years in an area that is now rapidly becoming over populated with legal pot smokers, many of whom started their career as illegal pot smokers.  Which explains my habit of locking my car even as it sits in my own driveway high on Sweetwater Hill.  Ann, who after moving back to Utah resumed the Utahan’s tendency to assume that everyone is honest and there is no reason to lock anything, badgers me because I have a habit of locking my car even if it is sitting in our locked garage.  Same with the house.  “Don’t worry about locking the house,” she says, “we’ll be back in a week and what burglar would be dumb enough to hike all the way up here in the snow just to break into a house that contains nothing desirable.”  Luckily I have been able to trump her trust with my paranoia and we lock the house with a dead bolt even when we just go out to shovel snow off the deck or stand in the yard and pull weeds.  And I won’t even mention my tendency to shred every piece of paper that carries any mark that might identify it as having once belonged to me.  I am known at the Logan dump as the bag man for the bales of shredded identifiers I carefully place into the recycle bins and then stir them in to make certain that mine and all the others are mixed together so as to complicate any attempt to identify me by reassembling my particular shreds.

            I have decided that I am going to place a sign at the entrance to our property that notifies any potential burglar that a simple, poor engineer lives here who already has spent his retirement and who has nothing of value to steal except his iPhone which is strapped to his chest at all times in a locked holster that will explode if touched by anyone other than himself.  And if the burglar does take the risk and causes the phone to explode, the burglar will likely be covered all over with bits and pieces of an unhealthy man.  The sign will also include a note that tells the potential burglar that he/or she (to be politically correct) should go down the hill to the wealthy, un-muddled mathematician’s house where he likely has gold and diamonds laying around in neat piles arranged according to the Pythagorean theorem and will be easy to load.  Oh yes, I will note, bring a large bag.

No comments: