Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Musings Of A Muddled Male

Long Live Bob
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

        I think that I am going to live forever.  You are probably thinking that is impossible, and I would have agreed with you a month ago, but now I am beginning to believe that I may never expire.  And it is my dentist’s fault, as I am certain you will agree once you read my explanation.   Remember that the last time you read this column I mentioned that I had been to our dentist to see about fixing a painful tooth.  The problem was easily corrected by a simple extraction, leaving Ann, my wife, disappointed because the extraction took less than a minute and caused me no pain.  Before proceeding with the extraction my dentist, who is very professional and explains things carefully prior to any procedure, sat with me to discuss the advantages and/or disadvantages of doing a root canal followed by the purchase of an expensive crown, or grabbing the offending tooth with a pair of pliers he keeps around the office and just jerk it out.  As I was pondering the options I happened to mention that I was turning eighty soon and didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that would last longer than I would.  In an attempt to reassure me my dentist responded, “Oh you will still be around for a long time.  In fact, after you reach one hundred I will begin doing your dental work for nothing.” 

        Well I laughed because I suspected he was joking, but Ann took him to be serious and immediately began planning a change in my eating and exercise habits to make certain that I would last long enough for her to collect on what she considered to be a generous offer from our trusted dentist.  Ann, you see, is very frugal.  If you searched our house you would find the storage area under our stairs filled with various sizes and shapes of empty cardboard boxes, and our three-car garage filled with similar boxes but larger in size.  All of that because she saves every box in case, according to Ann, “We happen to need a box to hold something we want to ship or store.”  I used to argue but got caught too many times stealing a box from her collection because it was just the right size and shape to hold something I needed to hold, and I didn’t want to drive to Logan just to buy an empty box. 

        And she hates to throw away something of substance because, as she keeps telling me, “You never know when we might need just that particular item.”  Take today, for example, when she found a bottle of medicine purchased in 1994 which was for her mother who lived with us on and off through her declining years until she died in 1995.  I’m not certain how the bottle ended up still sitting in our medicine cabinet since we had packed up and moved three times since 1995, but there it was, and she was struggling with the possibility that I might encourage her to throw it out.  I shouldn’t complain, however, since her hesitancy to chuck things out just because they are old and of no value probably saved my marriage several times over the past sixty years. 

        So if you see a little old couple pull into Walmart to buy a few groceries and park at the far end of the lot where the wife forces the gray haired old man to shuffle a half mile to the store entrance as a way of getting him to exercise, that might be us.  And if you see the wife grab the little old man by the ear as a way of pulling him past the M&M Peanuts and over to the broccoli, that will definitely be us.   I may not be able to walk when I am one hundred, but since I will be getting free dental care I should be able to chew.  That assumes, of course, that during the next twenty years our dentist doesn’t earn enough replacing my crowns to retire and move to a private island somewhere in the South Pacific where he surfs but no longer works.  Although for the life of me I can’t believe he would move to the South Pacific and leave an office full of gorgeous assistants.

No comments: