Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Friday, May 1, 2015

The Unmuddled Mathematician

The Motorcycle
By Chris Coray, The Unmuddled Mathematician 


In the mail last week came the periodic notice from the state that I needed to renew my driver’s license before July.   The steps required were pretty simple, completing a form on-line and then getting a free vision test at a driver’s license office.   There were two parts that gave me pause.  First, they asked me (in red writing) if I had ever driven fast enough to pass a vehicle driven by KS or RAJ on a Utah road.  The answer being no, the only other place in the web process where I paused was in deciding if I wanted to keep my motorcycle endorsement, which costs $9.00 extra.
As a kid I always wanted a two wheel motorized vehicle.  My first real hope was a Vespa motor scooter.  My hankering was big but my dad absolutely prohibited it.  He provided reasons, which included the experiences of some others.  So, there was no Vespa and certainly no motorcycle. 
Fast forward 20 years.  Married, children, good job, and with no parental hindrance in front of me I bought a medium sized motorcycle.  It wasn’t huge but would carry my wife and me on trips around Cache Valley.  When I went to get the original motorcycle endorsement the examiner watched my very limited skills, told me I was old enough to know better, and signed off on the application.  It was fun to ride and I was not unaware of the dangers that come primarily from car drivers not seeing you and the fact that there is virtually no protection for the person on the bike, even with a helmet.   A guy on a motorcycle learns to make eye contact with the drivers of all vehicles.  For a period of about two years things went well.  Riding it was often exhilarating.
One day my brother-in-law came for a visit.  He is an attorney, fully grown and responsible on this occasion.  He asked me if he could take the motorcycle for a short ride.  I asked him if he knew what he was doing and if he had any experience.  His reply was, “Sure, we rode these things around the farm all the time”.  So I let him take that shiny, red, beautiful motorcycle out on the road in our residential neighborhood.  The phone in the house rang so I went in, answered it and was in conversation when my youngest daughter came running into the house and said, “Dad, you better come quickly”.   Asking why, I received only a repeat of the same words.  So I ran outside and there was my beautiful bike, shiny side down on the pavement, at the intersection about 50 yards from the house.  It was on top of my brother-in-law.  I ran to the scene and asked my brother-in-law if he was OK.  He answered yes, but not with normal gusto.  That was enough data for me to begin to verbally release my feelings about the condition of “My Precious”. 
Then, in an unusual and surprising way, god spoke clearly and directly from behind me (note the lack of a capital letter).  She said, “Sell it tomorrow.”  I turned and there was the boss, with a no kidding look on her face that would make Clint Eastwood cower.  I said, “What?”  (Isn’t it amazing how eloquent I can be when pressed?).  She repeated, “Sell the motorcycle tomorrow”.  And so I did, selling it in a somewhat damaged condition and therefore at some loss.  It was never allowed another minute in the garage and my motorcycle life has been empty since.  But this week I still checked “Yes” on the motorcycle block for my soon-to-be-delivered new driver’s license, paid the extra $9.00, and continue to live a fantasy that will never be fulfilled.  In my fantasy life I still want that scooter.
In case you are wondering, my brother-in-law suffered no serious injuries.  Apart from some bruising, the most serious issue was the three hours it took to get all the gravel out of his skin caused by the rash that occurs when human skin slides across asphalt.

No comments: