Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, July 27, 2015

Cisco Sonar

Cisco Sonar
By Bryce Nielson

Bear Lake is a very special place.  I have been around it all my life.  I saw it before I could remember, nearly drown in it as a kid, fished it when I was in high school and studied it when I went to college.  Bear Lake entered my soul.   When I moved up here to do research on the fishery in 1974 my destiny was set.  I would spend the rest of my life at Bear Lake.

I have seen many things since that time.  I have always been intrigued watching all the happenings going on around me.  I love to observe trends, listen to what people say and watch what they do.  I won’t be able to remember your name but I can remember specific events that have happened in the past.

As this 24th of July weekend comes to a close, I would like to make some observations.  This is the first time in 40 years that I have not been committed to either as a biologist or owner of Cisco’s Landing.  This weekend I have had time to reflect on my thoughts.

The beauty of Bear Lake has not changed over the years.  It is etched in countless memories, but the area is struggling to maintain its character.  When you visit it, the Lake becomes part of you. It has always been safe and the people welcoming.  It is all about families.  It is one of the premier spots for family reunions.  Locals here are naturally friendly.  They are more than happy to accommodate our seasonal population surge.  Many of these folks still don’t lock up everything they have at all times.  They have lived all their life here, know the area on a year around basis and are trusting, which is rare today.  The population is changing however which distresses me.

I am happy to see people choosing Bear Lake for their permanent homes.  Individuals in the past resented any newcomers and wanted all for themselves.  I am sure that is what the Shoshoni Indians thought when the Mormon pioneers arrived.  Lately many of these people seem to think they need to change things here.  It is true that we need to adjust to changes.  They come because they love it  and then try to change it with ridiculous demands, regulations, laws and ordinances.  

Apparently we need to be controlled because we are incapable of making our own decisions.  We are all constantly being watched by fearful people.  If they hear a shot, see a car driving differently, a dog running or anything else they are immediately on the cell phone reporting it because they are constantly into everyone else’s business.  I personally hate it.  The Rich County Sheriff’s office does an outstanding job with limited resources and don’t need any additional demands.  Give them a break.

I apologize.  When I started writing this peace I wanted to focus on Bear Lake, how people love it and it gets into their souls.  It is fun to see all of the posts showing everyone having fun at Bear Lake on Social Media but I also hear the Rich County Radio Dispatch.  So when I let my mind loose, it went to changes in attitude which affects the area I love.   If Bear Lake has entered your soul, quit trying to change into the places you came from.  Remember why you came here in the first place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your part of the world also, and wish I could spend more time there. It is a place to respected and embraced, not changed. This is a message our immigrant neighbors, both legal and illegal, should be reminded of as well.