Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, May 16, 2016

Musings Of A Muddled Male

And the Dog Barked
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

       I must admit that I am confused.  I have learned to accept the fact that Ann, my wife, constantly monitors my carbohydrate intake, but not too long ago, as I mentioned in a previous article, she hollered that my lunch was on the counter and then left in the car.  When I got to the counter there lay eight sugar-snap peas and a handful of Fiddle Faddle™.   I admit that sugar-snap peas sound like her.  But Fiddle Faddle sounds like me and I began to wonder if she had set a trap before she left to test my honesty and will power.  I scrubbed the entire eating area for cameras, but as far as I could tell I was alone and unmonitored.  The unmonitored thing really made me suspicious because she never leaves me unmonitored when I am around things that fall into my two favorite food groups, delicious and sweet.  Take my recent purchase of See’sTM peanut brittle, for example.  We were in the mall in Riverdale near Ogden and I happened to walk by the See’s store, an action that resulted in a serious attack of peanut brittle withdrawal (or pbw as it is known in medical circles).  After a short moment of panic, I recalled that the treatment for pbw, and my only hope for survival, was to purchase a large box of peanut brittle, eat two large pieces immediately, and then eat two large pieces every hour until the candy, I mean medicine, was all gone.  Oh, and repeat as necessary if Ann isn’t watching.

       Ann wasn’t convinced that my proposed treatment was doctor prescribed, or medically approved, and so I didn’t tell her that I had already started the treatment by eating the first two pieces along with a sample offered by the clerk at the time of purchase.  But when we got home, and while I was putting the car in the garage, Ann audited the box and found that it had been opened and two pieces were missing.  When I returned from the garage I found that my lifesaving box of pbw medicine was nowhere to be found.  After a rather loud verbal exchange, during which I admit that I raised my voice loud enough to scare our neighbors, Ann admitted that she had hidden the box.  But she claimed that she had hidden it for me because she noticed that I had been watching the package closely as though I was concerned that a thief might steal it.  Fair enough, said I, but when I asked her where it was hidden she refused to tell me.  In an elevated voice I explained that to hide the box for me implied that it was hidden from others, but not from me, at which time she admitted that she had hidden it from me because she noticed that I had already had two pieces, and she felt that hiding it from me was justified by the fact that she was only trying to save my life.

       Well, I tried sweet talk, bribery, threats, tears, and holding my breath until my face turned red, but three weeks have gone by and she still won’t reveal the hiding place.  I tried a substitute treatment of M&M peanuts, but a case of pbw as serious as mine needs peanut brittle with equal or better quality than the See’s peanut brittle that started the withdrawal in the first place.  M&M peanuts helped a little, but a complete recovery would require pbw medicine of much higher quality than M&M peanuts.  Each time Ann left the house I scoured every nook and cranny I could think of, but my medicine just seems to have disappeared.  After several fruitless searches I began to research various methods used by police and CIA operatives to find contraband hidden by clever belligerents trying to avoid being caught in an illegal act.


       The obvious technique would be to find a dog that had been trained to sniff out peanut brittle.  The problem is that I haven’t been able to find a dog that trusts me any more than Ann does, and I am guessing that as soon as I command “Find,” the dog will take Ann’s side and begin barking at me.  When I read this to Ann to give her a chance to respond, she said that after three weeks she can’t remember where she hid my precious peanut brittle anyway, so HA!!  For payback I have decided to switch my allegiance to M&M Almonds and hide them in a stainless steel can in our little garden patch under a planting label that declares “BEWARE, POISON IVY.”

No comments: