Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Musings Of A Muddled Male

Two Loves
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

       Several years ago I told you of the problems I had created for myself in an attempt to satisfy the demands of two lovers.  I repeat that confession here as an introduction to my current problem.  It is an example of what goes around, comes around …. albeit in a slightly different form.  And now to my previous confession:

       If you see me wandering around with my head in my hands it isn't a migraine, it is simply that the two loves of my life are not getting along.  It is probably my fault.  I have tried, but being male I am, by default, insensitive, inattentive, and overly involved in mundane, technical things.  I'm not certain how one man deals with two loves whose needs and tastes are so completely opposite.  The one thing I know for certain is that I would have failed as a polygamist.

       My current state of pain all started when Ann, my first love, curled up on my lap, ran her fingers through my hair, and cooed, "I want you to tell me that you love me more than your iPhone or your computer.”  I should have known she had a jealous streak since she had been demanding more and more of my time the past couple of weeks.  Almost as if she was purposely and selfishly trying to keep me too busy to be with my second love, the digital one.

       So in the interest of peace I grabbed a slip of paper and hurriedly wrote, "I love you more than my iPhone and my computer, together or separately."  Things were going great until she noticed that on the back of the paper I had written, "Note to self: apologize to iPhone and computer later."

       So now you know.  My head is in my hands in an attempt to cover my black eye.  Ann claims that my eye can't hurt nearly as much as her heart, but I know that all it takes to make her feel better is a power outage or a battery failure.

       And now to my current problem.  When we left the hill above Bear Lake and moved to Logan, one of the advantages we expected to find was closeness to stores.  In fact, we live close enough to a Wal*Mart store that we could walk, if I could get up enough courage to sprint through the roundabout that sits at the halfway point.  So not having such courage we choose to drive, and that is the first half of our new problem.  As an engineer it is imperative that I park our car exactly centered between and parallel to the two lines that define the parking stall.  That would appear to be an easy task, except that the approach is narrow and the process of dodging people and carts and other cars as I try to line up with the parking stall causes me to end up in a way that provokes Ann, my wife, to respond with such taunts as, “The car is in crooked, you’re too close to this side, or you’re too close to the curb.”  And so I begin the process of see sawing back and forth in an attempt to get the proper alignment.

       But when we finally get settled squarely in the stall, another problem begins.  Ann, who is kind and tender hearted and always wanting to make things better for others, begins scurrying around the parking lot gathering up shopping carts that have been left all over the place by thoughtless shoppers.  “Ann,” I counsel in a stern voice, “they have young men who are paid to do that.  Let them do their job.”  But Ann keeps collecting and moving carts into their parking stall.  Since we moved here we have been to the parking lot dozens of time but have never quite made it into the store.

Well, maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but if you come to Wal*Mart in the evening and you see an old man see sawing in and out of a parking stall, and his wife scurrying around gathering up shopping carts, that will be us.  Be certain to wave as you go into and out of the store.  We will still be there.


No comments: