Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

Unsung...Heroes
By Mel Hansen, The Eighteen Wheel Philosopher

Last Saturday evening, the 4th, I was climbing the middle sister east of Evanston, Wyoming, heading east for Atlanta. The freeway was a tad bit slick..but I was passed by a school bus loaded with students, most likely basketball players, headed for home.

Every time I see a school bus my thoughts instantly go to the greatest school bus driver ever...Delford Webb.

It takes a special kind of person to be a bus driver! I could never do it! Not only do I..NOT..have the patience to put up with young kids...older kids who still act like little kids...but I couldn't shoulder the responsibility that I literally would be..responsible..for each and every life on that bus! One miscalculation or distraction could cause the loss of life! Never was I the least concerned about my safety when Delford or LuRene was behind the wheel. They were the BEST!

My parents always taught me to address my elders as, Mr. & Mrs., Uncle/Aunt, Bro./Sis., Teacher, etc etc... but for some reason this didn't apply to Delford and his lovely wife, LuRene. I, along with just about everybody else, addressed Delford and LuRene as such. I've given this a lot of thought through the years as why I addressed them as Delford and LuRene?... and this is what I came up with!...quite simple really!...think about who was one of the very first people you meet as a 5 yr old starting school in Kindergarten?...the bus driver! "Hello!..my name is Delford!...what's yours?" Delford and LuRene became my earliest friends!...and as such you become comfortable with them, even to the point that you...TRUST THEM WITH YOUR LIFE!...these kind of friends you call by their first names.

Delford picked me, along with 6-7 others, up for kindergarten in his own personal car. If my memory serves me right?...it was a two toned turquoise green and white?

All through my 1st and 2nd grade school yrs I stood right next to Delford, with both hands on the chrome bar that ran from the handle to the doors of the bus. (Delford was my protector from the high school boys who liked to tease me...it wasn't bullying!...just fun natured teasing is all)
My parents had the greatest respect and confidence in Delford and LuRene! Countless times I heard them say...especially from my dad when my mum would stress about those long winter ball trips..."nothing to fear as long as Delford is behind the wheel...there isn't anything that Delford can't handle!, and he'd never put those kids at risk!"

As I grew older I became..at times..a bit of a problem on the bus...so I was..requested..to take the front seat! I could probably count on both hands how many times that Delford wasn't behind the wheel...and when he wasn't his sweet wife, LuRene, was. While sitting on the front seat I observed LuRene's driving skills...she could double clutch and shift gears with the best of them! But I came to the conclusion that LuRene was at one time in her young life a...ballerina! She operated the clutch/brake and fuel pedals with the tips of her shoes!

In my high school basketball playing days...as I boarded the bus..Delford would greet me with a, wink and a grin, and tell me in a hushed tone..."now you behave and keep it down back there..so I don't have to stop this bus and come back there and...skin your ass!" "Will do!", I'd tell him. Thankfully I still have skin on my ass! I knew who he'd be looking for first, every time he looked over his glasses into that long mirror above his head to keep an eye on his passengers...so I'd grin and wave at him as we made eye contact with each other..and he would grin back while shaking his head back and forth.
Delford and LuRene were also the custodians of the school. Delford had the fastest returnable key chain in the west! His key chain probably weighed more than 20 lbs and you could hear him coming well before you saw him. 

LuRene was often behind the lunch counter serving up lunch with her patented smile!
For me...Delford and LuRene were...Comfortable Constants! If I didn't see them both several times a day...it wasn't a good day!

Countless times Delford would open the gym to us...even after basketball practice!...I think that he thought enough of us to do so...maybe he thought...if they're in here playing basketball..they're less likely to be getting into mischief and trouble some place else!?...he was right!

I wonder how many times Delford and LuRene...any bus driver for that matter... is told..THANK YOU!!..for getting me to and from safely!?? I'd like to think that I did...but ashamedly so... I can't remember telling Delford and LuRene thanks! They certainly deserved it from everyone riding the bus! Thanks!...would've certainly made their job worth it...and put a smile on their face everyday!...such a small price to pay for yrs of dedicated service.

The last time I seen and talked with Delford and LuRene, about 2 yrs ago at a funeral service in Laketown, I sat down next to them...put an arm around them and finally...Thanked...them for keeping me safe as a youngster on the bus. I'm sure they'd rather of hauled Charlie Manson around than me! But being the humble heroes that they are...they just smiled, said that they were glad to be a little part of my life and that I really wasn't all that..bad!...and that they enjoyed doing what they did. To me...No body!..did it better!

I think we had/have the best school bus drivers in the state! Who better to bus our children around than those who were born/ raised here!?...learned how to drive in the coldest, weirdest weather county in the state!

And like my parents...I never worried about my children's safety as long as Rose, Lois (Delford and LuRene's two daughters), Harry Bennion, Bob Johnson and Lynn Weston were behind the wheel! And for the other bus drivers in our county that I personally don't know...and all bus drivers everywhere...I thank you all!!...for having the patience and courage to love and protect our children!...you all...are truly Heroes!
And even though Delford and LuRene are retired...Delford being in his 90's!...I'd trust them both still!..to drive me anywhere! But more importantly...I'm thankful that they were, still are, two of my first..and trusted..friends! I'm a better person for knowing them! 

No comments: