Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, June 26, 2017

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

Significance Of A Pin
By Mel Hansen, The 18 Wheeler Philosopher


Today is my Uncle Sherril Beck's, killed on D-Day, June 6, 1944 (Omaha Beach), birthday. He was
14 days from reaching the 20th year of his short life. He and my Dad are the same age...my Dad will soon be 93 in August.

All my life I've been told stories by my Mum, Uncle Sherril's little sister, and Uncles from my Beck side of the family about this young hero. At times I've found myself wondering if this young man from the tiny town of Ovid, Idaho even existed. He was almost mythical in because he was talked about with such reverence and respect.

We named our oldest son, John Sherril, after my two heroes, my dad and my uncle...and the second he was born my Mum...ALWAYS...called him, John Sherril. To my knowledge he's done nothing to bring shame or dishonor to his two namesakes.

Shortly after John Sherril was born my Uncle Junior Beck, Sherril's oldest brother, told me he wanted John Sherril to have Uncle Sherril's Seminary Pin. Because of my slothfulness I never obtained the pin and my Uncle Junior & Aunt Ozella passed away and their oldest daughter packed up their belongings, rightly so, and took them to her house in Minnesota. I feared my chances of obtaining the pin would be in vain and didn't dare to ask her for it.

Just recently my older sis, Diane Weston, has been doing a lot of genealogy work involving our Beck side and has been in contact with our cousin Claudia, who is a genealogical guru! I asked Di
if she would be so kind to mention to Claudia about Uncle Sherril's Seminary Pin and how her dad, Uncle Junior, wanted John Sherril to have it. Di did so!...THANKS Di.

Today, Uncle Sherril's Birthday, I received by mail from Claudia, a handwritten note inside the package saying, "Please take care of this pin and let me know that you received it." Inside a small plastic bag, wrapped by cotton and taped tightly was Uncle Sherril's Seminary Pin. How thoughtful, kind and generous of her to entrust my John Sherril with it! We thank her with all our hearts.

As I unwrapped it and pulled it from the small bag, I was a bit overcome with emotion! Here I was actually holding something that was once held and very proudly owned by a Hero! He no longer was mythical, the subject of stories told by those who knew him, he suddenly became real to me! 

He was just a very young farm boy who loved his Bear Lake Valley, loved his parents, grandparents, and siblings.  I'm sure he had dreams of having a family and growing old with his wife! Smiling and laughing with his grandchildren.  Just enjoying life to the fullest!  Did he want to go off to war?  Does anyone really? I'm sure he'd rather of not, but he did as his Nation asked. His bullet ridden body was pulled from the sea and laid to rest in a cemetery in England. After the war his father had his body returned to the valley he so loved and laid to rest in the Lanark Cemetery next to his mother who died of cancer when he was 12 yrs old.

I'm sure the Pin will be taken care of and cherished, as the priceless heirloom it is, by his namesake. Hopefully it will be a constant reminder to him as he continues to never dishonor the names of the men he bears, to always stand steadfast in his religious beliefs, of his heritage, and price of freedom. I think it's fitting, maybe even his Great Uncle Sherril wanted him to receive his Seminary Pin on the day he was born in 1924.

No comments: