Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Friday, July 14, 2017

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

Barn Ghost
By Mel Hansen, The Eighteen Wheeler Philosopher

In my travels I'm blessed to see many sights. My favorites are of the farm/ranch country and the various buildings etc. that dot their landscape.

On the very first trip I made down south back in mid-February, this huge old barn immediately caught my eye. I've always wanted to own a big barn just like it. It's in upper Missouri, alongside Highway 36 around the community of Chillicothe.

Upon first seeing it, my first thought was...WOW!  A person could have a full size basketball court in the loft alone! The thought brought on by a growing up memory of playing basketball for hours in the loft of my best friend’s, Kris Price, red barn in Round Valley. Fun times!

I pass this barn almost twice in a 10-12 day stretch. It sits in a field surrounded by beautiful cornfields and pastures. I've yet to see a single living soul, or animals, in or around it though.

Around my fourth or fifth pass by it, I finally noticed the white chair in the wide side entrance and have been amazed that it's still on all four legs!  Amazed, because the other big door directly across from it is open also. 

Now within the past few months it's been tornado season throughout this part of Missouri and Nebraska.  I've been in two that were “Come to Jesus” moments!  Nothing more thought provoking than the moment you get a "Tornado eminent in this area, seek shelter immediately!"message over your IPhone. The second one was very close to this barn. The wind blows hard through this area even when it's not tornado season. 

But with both doors open, allowing a strong direct cross wind, the chair in the path of the direct winds, why does this chair remain on all fours? Or why isn't it blown out of the barn and is somewhere over the rainbow?  All I can think of is that maybe persons unseen, who  might have once sat in that chair, sit there from time to time, to keep it in the barn and on all fours?

No comments: