Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, January 15, 2018

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

By Mel Hansen, The Eighteen Wheeler Philosopher

Never thought I'd say this...I miss building/mending fences.

I'm listening to a book about the constitution, right now it's talking about the First Amendment, Freedom of Speech.

It's jogged my memory of another "Fencing Lesson" I learned from my Dad as we were building a new fence around the grain field on the east side of the lake shortly after I had returned home from my mission.

At noon we sat in the pickup to have lunch, I turned on the radio to listen to the news and a few tunes whilst eating our sandwiches. Can't exactly remember what the news was specifically about, but it must've had something to do with freedom of speech cause I can remember my Dad saying after the news, "I fought for the right for every American to say what they want, but I didn't fight for what some think...is their right to be heard!"

I didn't comment on his statement at that time, but I found myself thinking about it the rest of the day. It's really a thought provoking statement.

On the way home I said to him "Dad, a person has to have the right to be heard...if not, what good is freedom of speech?"

His reply was..."No my boy! you have the "right" to say whatever you want!  It's up to others to determine if you're heard." 

No comments: