Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Fearless Foodie

The Fearless Foodie                                                             
By Scott Heiner

Let me introduce myself.  I am an incurable, intrepid, unabashed foodie.  In April 2016 we bought a home in Sweetwater and now live here year-round.  My wife loves the area for her nature   There are scores of folks around here making their own specialty foods for the tourist industry such as jams, jellies, salsas, baked goods, candies, cheeses, and so forth.  I’m curious about almost everything, especially food.

I grew up in the small farming community of Morgan, Utah.  It’s similar to Garden city, where everybody knows everybody (that could be good or bad).  Everyone ate standard American fare: meat and potatoes, fried chicken, peas, beans, corn, and of course green Jell-O salad with shredded carrots.

My first experience with ethnic food was at age 8 or 9 in Cub Scouts when we were introduced to tacos.  The two Den Mothers were diligently trying to make taco shells by frying corn tortillas and then folding them in half, but almost all broke on the attempt.  I remember thinking what a strange food this was and how impossible it seemed to ever produce a proper taco shell in one piece.  I don’t remember if my taco shell was one of the rare ones in one piece or a broken one, but the filling was hamburger, shredded cheese, lettuce with ketchup for the salsa.  That experience planted in me a budding curiosity in trying different foods.

My introduction to unusual foods was fast-tracked when I served an LDS mission in Japan where I learned to eat weird foods beyond imagination.  If that wasn’t enough, I had to use chopsticks to boot--I had to learn fast or starve.  I actually loved the experience and developed a life-long passion for trying out new foods.  In a future column, I’ll discuss some of the more interesting things I ate in Japan.  (Most of the things I liked, but I confess, a few items were……an acquired taste.)

Since Japan, I now travel the whole world—not literally, but through trying ethnic food right here in America.  I’ve got to say, it’s quite an adventure.  Before I die, my dream is to try every kind of food there is in the world—that is if something I eat doesn’t kill me first.

Now, when I go grocery shopping, I’m always on the lookout for something unusual; if I see an item that I’m unfamiliar with, I’ll definitely buy it just to find out what it is.  When we eat out, I first seek an interesting or ethnic restaurant, but if we end up at a more conventional restaurant, I invariably look on the menu for the most unusual or interesting item.  At any given time, my favorite food is whatever I haven’t tried yet.

I propose to write a regular column about interesting food for the Rich Civic Times.  In particular I’d like to review the establishments in Bear Lake Valley and share my impressions.  I welcome any feedback including suggestions on what to try, comments or questions about my articles.  My email is ScottSHeiner@gmail.com.

Until next time, happy eating!




No comments: