Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

We Focus on What Matters Most.
By Mel Hansen

My pretty little wife and I just returned from Logan with my oldest
granddaughter, Gidge. We’re hoping she’ll spend the night with us, it’s the first time.

Whilst over there I spent a few hours visiting with my dad at Maple Springs. He’s doing great! He loves to look out his West window with his binoculars to watch the construction workers building apartment buildings, and to look at the mountains also. He says they’re not like looking at Swan Peak and the east mountains here at home, but he’s thankful he can see them and watch them change with the seasons.

My dad has spent his whole life outside. I feel for him now to have to mostly watch it through a window. He asked me if I could re-adjust his binoculars for him, somehow he manages to get them out of focus and it’s hard for him to focus them again. So I focused them for him and he was like a child at Christmas to be able to see clearly through them again! It made his day! “I have a hard enough time as it is to see clearly, but now I can see more clearly the things that bring me joy!” is what he said.

When Gwenda and I left him we looked up at his second story room and he was still looking through his binoculars, he did pause long enough to wave goodbye to us.

We drove through USU campus on our way out of Logan. I was amazed at the amount of students walking with their heads down staring into their phones totally obvious as to what was happening around them.

On the ride home I couldn’t help but think about how much life has changed in my Dad’s lifetime.  How bad he feels when he struggles with his vision at his age to not see things around him clearly, like Mother Nature, that has/still does bring him so much pleasure! And then to see the young generation walking around, their heads down, not really seeing in focus what my Dad now struggles to see.  God’s Creations!

I guess it’s a good thing there’s Google.  They can Google, Mother Nature, up on their phones and still see it with their heads down.

No comments: