Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, March 25, 2019

Good Stuff

Morgan Creek Floral In Laketown
By John Brown


Look, guys. You’re going to hear these lines from the women and girls in your life.

“Oh, you don’t have to get me flowers.”

“Flowers are so impractical. You look at them for a few days, and then they’re dead.”

“I don’t need flowers.”

You might even hear such lines on Valentine’s and Mothers’ Day.

Let me translate them for you. Because unless the women in your life are somehow allergic to petals, and their faces bloat to the size of beach balls at the sniff of a rose, this is what they’re actually saying.

“You don’t have to get me flowers, but if you do, it will melt my heart.”

“Flowers are impractical, but romance is impractical, and that’s why it makes me feel so special.”

“I don’t need flowers to feel loved, but, oh, what a welling in my heart I feel when someone gets me some.”

Flowers and a short, thoughtful note are like sunshine.

And if you’re an ugly son of a gun, they can even make you more handsome. Maybe not as attractive as Jason Momoa. But surely they’ll put you ahead of Barney Fife.

Here’s the problem. It’s a pain in the neck to drive an hour or two to get them in Logan or Evanston. It’s an even bigger pain when you go all that way to get a special bouquet, and the florist sends you back with some substandard arrangement.

For example, a couple of years ago, daughter #3 and date went to one of the big towns in our area and purchased a corsage and boutonniere for a dance. So they spent the travel time and gas money, and the flowers were dying and falling apart before the dance started. Why? Because the florist had used hot glue to fuse them together.

Think about that for a second. Fresh flowers. Hot glue.

That’s like using 5W-40 as the oil for marinating your steaks.

Men. If your florist is using hot glue or duct tape on fresh flowers, you have a problem.

This is why I am happy to report we have our own floral shop in Rich County. It’s called Morgan Creek Floral and is run by Anna Marie Thompson out of her house in Laketown. Google the name of the shop, and you’ll find it on Facebook. Her prices are reasonable. And her flowers are fresh, tastefully arranged, and beautiful. 

How do I know? She did the flowers for daughter #1’s wedding. The bridal bouquet was a mix of ferns, tulips, pine cones, and more. It and the other flowers were gorgeous and unique. As good as anything seen in a magazine. They were beautiful when we got them. Beautiful for the pictures after the wedding in American Fork. Beautiful for the first reception in Fillmore. Beautiful the next day for the second reception back up in Laketown.

Daughter #4 and her date just got a corsage and boutonniere for the Junior Prom. Lovely. And, wonder of wonders, zero hot glue.

I’m not a floral designer, but I know a little bit about these things because I grew up the in the floral business. For decades, my father and grandfather operated the longest-running and largest floral shop in Salt Lake City. Most floral shops have one designer at any given time and a small cooler. We had six to nine designers working full time, three huge coolers, and were receiving shipments of flowers almost every day, sometimes from as far away as Israel. Let me tell you, we did a lot of business.

So, guys, trust me. Anna Marie does good work. You might not notice the difference between this or that arrangement, but the woman or girl in your life probably will.

If you want something for Mothers’ Day, birthdays, or random weekdays just because—let me suggest flowers (even just one) and a short, but thoughtful note. Anna Marie can help you pick out just the right thing for your budget and the occasion. Just make sure you give her a few days’ notice. I can tell you I’m not going anywhere else.  

No comments: