Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, February 9, 2020

New Column: Randolph, One Hundred and Fifty


Nail Jail
by Maydi Kennedy Eastman, Randolph

I am a native of Randolph and have spent most of my life living here. I grew up on a cattle ranch north of the junction and was surrounded by my heritage that was passed down from generations.   My parents, grandparents, and great grandparents on both sides are also from here, (and I could keep going with the generations), so I have had the unique experience of not only learning about my ancestors but seeing the results of their labor. I have watched the water run down the canals and ditches that were dug by hand, and fields that were cultivated by determination and grit of my ancestors. I have been taught to embrace and respect all those who came before me and because of that became a lover of history. My perfect day is going on an adventure and finding the spot that I have read stories about; I truly feel the presence of the past when I do this. I am excited to do this all over the county and I hope you will enjoy reading my tidbits as I discover.

We are celebrating the sesquicentennial of Randolph this June and I was invited to be on a committee for planning the festivities. My part is tourism (remember lover of history) so I have learned even more, and I’m in awe at how much history surrounds me. 

The adventure for this month is the first Rich County Jail that was built at the end of January 1882 for $533.00. An article written by Denice Wheeler in The Salt Lake Tribune on September 11, 1977, describes it perfectly: “Randolph, Rich County-Wild West Justice was swift in the 1880s when the old Rich County Jail was in use. The square building was said to have been built by 8 tons of nails. The nails were hammered so closely together that no one could cut or burn himself out in an escape attempt.”

I thought I had misread-8 TONS of nails, that’s pretty unbelievable. The “Nail Jail” had three cells
and their canvas cots suspended from iron rings that were in the wall, and 2 barred windows provided light and air. “The walls were made of 2 by 8 and 2 by 12 boards, were more than a foot thick. Hinges on the doors and bars on the windows were heavy cast iron.” The book “Randolph A Look Back” tells of a 23-year-old man Patrick Coughlin, who stole a cup of strawberries in Salt Lake in 1896. This book goes on to explain how Coughlin was captured, (shot and killed two of the posse) held in the jail and then executed by firing squad on December 15, 1896, North of Woodruff at Sage Hollow. As far as I can find this is the only execution that has taken place in Rich County.

After reading this story my good friend and I visited the “Nail Jail” to see if we could find Coughlin’s initials carved in the walls. We did not find his but found many others carved into the massive cast iron doors. The jail now only has 2 cells and is a little different than what I have read. A burn mark by the front door is evidence of one man’s unsuccessful attempt of breaking out.

The “Nail Jail” now sits in Randolph by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Relic Hall and is owned by their organization. 

No comments: