Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, May 4, 2020

Reflections on the Journey

Ed Note:  Introducing a new columnist for RCTonline.  Leslie struggles with brain chemistry issues and is sharing her amazing journey as a wonderful wife, mother, friend and colleague.

May is Mental Health Awareness Month!
By Leslie Scott

We all know I haven't been quiet about my struggles, and as I've said before, I've been blown away by the number of people that have shared their own personal struggles with me. Mental Health is real, and something I don't take lightly.

The first time I saw my Dr. I asked him to tell me why. Why was this happening, why now, why me? His answer was, "I have no idea." Great! Thanks....super helpful! But then he said, "I can give you the tools to help you think more clearly, but YOU have to figure out the why."

My husband and I have thought a lot about this over the last few months. Trying to find triggers that might make things spiral out of control. We haven't found too many reasons why, but we have found a few solutions that have slowed the spiral.


1. Routine: I am huge on routine in my personal life. My morning and nighttime routines are always the same. At night, I always wash my face, brush my teeth, fill up my diffuser with my favorite bedtime blend, and put lotion on my feet. There are no exceptions. And they always go in that order. I have control!

2. Exercise: I am so much better able to handle things that come my way mentally when I am physically strong. It helps me to clear my head. Some mornings are intense, and some mornings I just walk. But either way, I'm moving.

3. Smells: I have found that I'm a very aromatic person. Certain smells help me in different ways. When I take a bath, there is always a calming scent mixed in. Lavender and water mint are my favorite bath time smells. Lotions with coconut smell help to carry me through the day. And lavender and sandalwood at night help me to sleep.

4. Someone to squeeze me tight: There are times when my husband just has to hold me tight in his arms. If he's not around, a hug from one of my kids will do. When I sleep at night, I always have a heavier blanket on me. Not because I'm cold, but because it's comforting.

5. A listening ear: Some mornings, I just unload on my gym partner. And she just listens. But as I say things out loud, I find that I start to think them through better. It's my own personal therapy.

What things have you found that help you?

No comments: