Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, June 22, 2020

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

D-Day Shadow Box
By Mel Hansen

I’ve posted quite a few times/pictures about...June 6th, 1944...better known in History as D-Day.
When the combined forces of the Allied nations stormed the shores of Normandy France to defeat Hitler.

My Uncle, Sherril Beck, from the tiny farming/country town, Ovid Idaho, was killed along with the rest of the men in the landing craft (28 young Americans) on Omaha Beach. He was 14 days from his 20th birthday.

D-Day, recently, became a great deal more personal and special to me. My nephew, Aaron Whitmill, this past year took a Military History trip with some of his friends to places in the US, England and France.

Omaha Beach was one of the stops.

Aaron too, is a history buff, all his life he’s been told about the sacrifices of his Great Uncle, his Grandpa and others who served and died. All through his trip he kept me in mind with well-informed pictures and texts, of which I greatly appreciated!

His experience on Omaha Beach was...emotional. His tour guide, knowing that Aaron’s Great Uncle had been killed there, separated him from the rest of the group, took him to a place where they had researched and believed was the closest spot our Uncle's landing craft was supposed to have landed, perhaps the place where he was killed, and then left Aaron alone to be by himself to greater feel and experience the last place of the life of our Uncle who was still a teenager! Along with thousands of others.

Aaron made/brought this shadow box for me in memorial to our Uncle. In it is a blown up picture of the spot on Omaha Beach, a picture of our Uncle Sherril Beck and where he might’ve been.
There’s a 1” round stone. German Gen. Erwin Rommel, had wide trenches dug behind the beaches and filled with these stones where soldiers would sink up to their knees and become bogged down making them easier targets for death.

A round America flag, with soldiers storming the beach, medallion. Given to members of families of those who lost loved ones there that day.

In the little silver bottle with the cork is sand Aaron took from the spot. A place in the sand that 76 years ago very well could’ve been stained red from the spilled blood of 28 young dead American Heroes.

But just as great as the Shadow Box he made for me, is the letter in the envelope he wrote that came with it. In the letter he shared with me his personal experience of that day on Omaha Beach. It’s very personal and touching. I’m not ashamed to say...”Tears flowed!”The Shadow Box, along with his letter, is one of my prized possessions!

In trying to take a picture of this Shadow Box...of which I took many! Trying to eliminate myself...or other background scenery... I couldn’t do it! It was making me upset! Until it finally dawned on me...that’s why they probably call it a...Shadow Box! (I’m not the brightest shadow!)

You can’t do it! You’re forced to either look at your own or something else’s reflection along with seeing what’s inside of the box.

So seeing my own reflection in this D-Day Memorial Box to our Hero Uncle has made me evaluate myself.

Do I even remotely deserve to be even a shadow or reflection in the box with someone who was willing to give ALL of his dreams of tomorrows so I can live my today’s and dreams of tomorrow’s? Can I at least try to do my best to honor him by appreciating, living, even protecting...the very freedoms he died for?

I know his Great Nephew, Aaron Whitmill, is committed. He’s a hero himself! He’s a Paramedic First responder Fireman. Puts his life on the line daily for others.

Aaron belongs in the Shadow Box of Honor.

I need to step up my game! It doesn’t take much, a kind word or gesture. Respect for each other. Learn how to be civil in disagreement with others who don’t believe or think as I do and remain friends. Take the time to help someone.

Spend more time with our spouses and family. I personally believe that’s truly where things need to happen to make the world a better place, and make us all worthy of....Shadow/Reflection Boxes.


No comments: