Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Friday, October 2, 2020

Candidates for County Commission

While the world is focused on the national presidential election it is sometimes easy to forget the other races.  None is more important to our county than the commission race.  This  year we have three candidates:

Ralph Johnson Democrat

After graduating from South Rich in 1968, Ralph spent two years in British


Columbia, Alaska, and the Yukon Territory.  He married Brenda Thomson in 1970 (they have been married 50 years) and they are the parents of 5 children.  He graduated from Weber State in 1974 and was hired at Cokeville High School in Wyoming to coach and teach English.  In 1980 Ralph returned to his alma mater and started again the football program that had been missing for a decade.  This has given hundreds of young men in Rich County the opportunity to participate.  He also convinced his brother Larry to organize a Booster Club that remains today and has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to help support athletics.  A heartfelt thanks to those who have spent countless time and money supporting our school's athletic programs.   Ralph taught and coached for over 35 years and in 2011 was inducted into the Utah Sports Hall of Fame. 

Ralph worked as the Principal of South Rich Elementary and South Rich High School while continuing to teach English. He also served for 12 years on the Rich County Board of Education and was a member of the Randolph Lions Club for over 30 years.   He serves presently as the 2nd Vice-president of the Woodruff Narrows Reservoir Company and is the President of the Beckwith-Quinn Westside Canal Company.   Ralph and Brenda, along with their son Marques and his wife Victoria, and their son Ryan, who is also the Postmaster in Laketown, own and operate the Manhead Ranch located 14 miles north of Randolph.  

In his quest to become a Commissioner, he is aware of the diversities in the county.  He served for several years on the Rich County zoning and planning commission and if elected will strive to use good judgment, keep open lines of communication, and voice his perspective when discussing issues.  He knows that being part of a three-person commission means that unless at least one other commissioner agrees with him, he will need to join the majority decision.  On his own he has no power.  He believes he has a good relationship with Mr. Bill Cox and Mr. Sim Weston.  By working together, we can be an effective commission in administering to the needs of Rich County.  Ralph will make no promises that he cannot keep and will work to the best of his ability.  He sincerely appreciates your consideration as you cast your vote! 

Jonathan Lee  Republican

I am honored to be the Republican candidate for County Commissioner in Rich County. Your vote and voice matter to me. I ask for your vote in this election. 


Rich County is an amazing place that thrives on agriculture and tourism. I think there is a proper way to allow for growth while maintaining the heritage that makes this the best county in the state.

My primary focus will be economic development for existing businesses (ag, rec, restaurants, trades, shops) and for those looking to start new or move existing businesses into the county.

I grew up in Woodruff out by Deseret. My father was Deputy Sheriff at the RCSD. I've witnessed firsthand the seasonality of our county and the pressures it puts on all the different parts.

During my teens, I worked at LaBeaus and Bear Trapper and benefited from others' efforts to make businesses and grow their American Dream in the county.

I was able to get my Associates Degree from USU in High School thanks to the awesome Rich County School District. Later I graduated from Harvard with an Economics Degree. Amanda and I have had fun as a family doing business in many areas mostly import and export.

Other than two years living in Spain, Rich County has been my home.   I married into a ranching family and currently live on Manhead Road right in the center of the county.  Amanda and I have been in the same place since Kindergarten, but she only started liking me Junior year of high school :) We have been married for 10 years and now have 5 kids.  Lonna (8) Ella (6) Jonny (4) Blaze (1.5) Ace (baby) Everything I do is for them. I hope they can live and be employed in Rich County when they get older if they choose.

I am currently working on building Dot Bar Communications to provide an alternate broadband connection for the whole county.  

I will bring fresh thinking and new ideas to the Commission.

I am promising to listen.  I promise consistent and transparent communication.  I promise to support Right to Farm Laws, Personal Property Rights, to protect public lands, and water rights. I promise to maintain property taxes low.  I promise to support individuals in their pursuits of the American Dream no matter their background.  

This is the best place on earth. This is the best place to grow up and raise a family. I have already done one; now I'm working on the other. I hope to serve you and Rich County as a Commissioner. I am asking for your vote.

Anyone can email or call/text me anytime.  jon@dotbar.com  (385) 355-5555


Andy Stokes  Write In

My name is Andy Stokes and I’m running as a write-in for Rich County commissioner. I believe in the concept of good, better, and best. And I’m willing to do what’s best for rich county.


I built homes, sold real estate, and worked in development. I’ve worked with several city and county governments from Draper to Willard. 

I have witnessed first hand when counties across Utah have been reactionary to the growth within their communities. 

As commissioner, I will be proactive in preparing for the future of Rich County, while preserving the heritage that has been passed down for generations. 

I’ve had the opportunity to serve this great county in a number of ways. I volunteer as a firefighter, EMT, sat on the Rich County school board, trust lands committee, Rich County fair board and served as a 4-H leader for the youth. I even volunteered my time to fog for mosquitos. 

This is the type of dedication to service I’ll have as commissioner when elected. Let’s do what’s best for Rich County and write-in Andy Stokes for county commission


1 comment:

Allyson said...

Yay Jon! Not a more qualified candidate out there