Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Good Stuff

By John Brown

Jocko Willink was a Navy SEAL platoon leader and task force commander, which means he led some of the highest performing teams in the world. It’s kind of necessary when death is on the line.


But Willink didn’t just lead, he also became a SEAL instructor and taught other SEALs how to lead. And now, after retiring from the SEALs, he runs a leadership consulting firm where he trains executives to become better leaders. And, oh, how I wish I’d had his book Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual thirty-five years ago. It could have saved me from so many mistakes as both a leader and follower.

Like the time I assigned my team a project, but then micromanaged them until they gave up in frustration.

Or the time when I thought a guy who reported to me needed some “motivation” and so I called him to accounting in front of the rest of the team.


Or the time I disagreed with my manager, and I couldn’t just eat my ego and support him without also undermining his ideas to my co-workers.

Or the time I questioned my church leader’s idea to resurrect roadshows, then grumbled when we were put in charge of running one (which ended up being, to our surprise, a success in a surprising way).

Or dozens and dozens of other times.

The good news is that I now have the insights of a terrific leader at hand and can get his input on in the current situations I face. And it’s not just strategy (broad principles). He also gives detailed examples so you see how the principles apply, even to the point of suggesting tactics (specific ways of responding and acting).

The book is a treasure trove of good stuff on leading and following. If you work on any kind of team as a leader or follower at work, school, church, or in volunteer or hobby groups (heck, it even applies to families), I think you’ll find this book a breath of fresh air. More importantly, you’ll love how it gives you alternative ways to act in difficult situations you might face. It’s a terrific book.


No comments: