Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, July 12, 2021

Reflections on the Journey

Ed Note:  Leslie struggles with brain chemistry issues and is sharing her amazing journey as a wonderful wife, mother, friend and colleague.

By Leslie Scott

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You are what you eat?" Do you believe it?

What about, "STAND like a superhero, FEEL like a superhero, ACT like a superhero?"

The first time I heard about the power pose was from a TV show. A highly successful surgeon would stand like Superman for 2 minutes before performing a highly intense surgery. It helped to clear her mind, made her believe that she was powerful, and gave her the confidence she needed to perform her task.

I laughed! How silly! But it made for super great TV! I mean, come on, who doesn't want to believe that they are as awesome as Superman?

On a rather low day, the memory of this scene came back to me, and I googled it. Because isn't that what we do when we need answers to all of life's questions?

It is a HIGHLY researched topic my friends!

There are many scientific studies that show if you stand in a superhero pose for a short amount of time before performing a hard task, you actually perform better!

The cortisol (stress) hormones lower, and the testosterone (confidence boosting) hormones raise. Thus, you actually start to believe that you are powerful.

Now, you insert here what that hard task may be. For some it may be job interview, it might be performing intense surgery, and it might be taking a test.

But for me, it's walking out the door in the morning.

I often times find myself stopping mid hair straightening, and posing. I look in the mirror and stare at the girl I see. "Breathe," I say. "You can do this today."I don't laugh when I see someone posing like a superhero anymore. Try it out and see how it makes you feel.

"You're much stronger than you think you are. Trust me." -- Superman

No comments: