Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pat Argyle Response To RCTonline Election Queries


On June 16, 1858, at the Illinois Republican convention in Springfield, Abraham Lincoln kicked off his bid for the U.S. Senate with a speech that would come to be known as the "House Divided" speech. President Lincoln rightly predicted that the United States would either become all free or all slave, but that the nation would survive.  In his speech, Lincoln quoted the Holy Bible when he said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Rich County has a long history of division between the north and the south. I believe over the years it has become somewhat better after consolidation of the schools; however, it does seem to me there is still a sentiment of ranchers vs non-ranchers.  It is my desire to see this kind of division in our county end.  If our people are to become the best we can be we must do it together in brotherly love.  

Together we can protect our traditional way of life in agriculture.  Together we can face the inevitable changes coming to the north end of our county while preparing for them in ways to benefit all who live in Rich County.  Together we can face the challenges that threaten us all from federal and state intrusion.  Together we can create opportunities for our children and grandchildren to be able to stay here and raise their families.  Together we can address the challenges we have unique to agriculture. Together we can address the challenges we have that are unique to the resort areas.  Together we can address the challenges we have in common because we all live in this beloved Rich County.    Think of the rancher out changing his water in his field.  Think of the miner on his way out to the graveyard shift.  Think of the restaurant owner serving up a meal.  Think of the teacher grading papers.  Think of the many more people who either work from home via the internet, dig foundations, study wildlife, keep the utilities working, and many, many more.  We are all so different, yet we are the same.  

What do we have in common?  Let's start there and build upon that a unity in brotherly love that will move us forward into the next chapter in Rich County's history.  Let's determine that the next chapter in Rich County's history will be one that we can be proud of because we wrote it together. Adversaries don't get very far together, but friends do.

If elected to serve as your county commissioner I solemnly pledge to serve ALL citizens of Rich County.

1. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to fairly, and evenly represent the ENTIRE county and it’s residents.  

2. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to be available to ALL residents by phone or email when any citizen has an issue that needs attention by the County Commission.  I will return phone calls in a timely manner, and will be happy to discuss issues of importance to you.
3. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to give fair-minded consideration to all sides of an issue when a decision needs to be made.  I also appreciate and expect for interested persons involved in an issue to help me understand their perspective so that I can make the best possible decision.
4. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to honor and obey all laws and ordinances in my pursuit of county business.
5. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to administer the business of the County Commission with total fidelity to the trust placed in me by all the citizens of Rich County.
6. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to conduct county business in an open and transparent manner, including open public meetings.
7. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to protect the sacred trust of tax dollars paid by the citizens of this county.
8. As a county-wide representative, I pledge to consider my term in office as a service to our county community, and have no personal agenda to pursue.  I believe in service to one’s community.
9. I pledge to promote the principle taught by Ronald Reagan that “A rising tide floats all boats.”  Opportunities for one part of the county invariably benefit ALL of the county.
10.   I pledge to promote unity in the county.  I don’t see US and THEM.  I see only US.  Together we can be great!
I am running for county commission because of a desire to serve.  I care deeply about this county and ALL those who live here.  I appreciate your vote. 


No comments: