Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Tom Weston Answers to RCTonline Election Queries



My name is Tom Weston, and I am currently a Rich County Commissioner.  I am seeking re-election to that position.  I have a high amount of admiration and respect for the county employees for whom I have an opportunity to serve.  They work hard serving the public in their respected offices.  They do a great job.  As a County Commissioner, I am always striving to be a better resource for them.  I recently was told by a respected man of my community that a man in my position “needs to learn to listen!”  As a commissioner, I will be a better listener.

Once a month we hold Commissioners Meetings.  One hour prior to these meetings we hold a closed session with the Supervisor’s of the different departments.  We follow the state statute in this meeting.  By being a closed meeting, it does not include the media.  I will not change this protocol.  I enjoy being able to visit with the other County employees one hour a month.  Bike trails and parking, as well as other amenities, are always an item that we give a lot of discussion.  As a commissioner, I am always looking for funding to help with these items.  Recently I was in a meeting with UDOT.  Bike trail/ walking path and parking were some of the top subjects we discussed.  An example of an area of discussion was the bike path on the west side of the lake.  I will continue to explore funding sources to improve these discussed topics.

Budgets only go so far.  As a commissioner I believe in staying on a budget and doing the best with the funding that I have.  I feel it is vital to plan necessary steps in advance for new projects and looking at all possible funding.  The infrastructures that we have are inadequate at this time.  New asphalt along with widening the roads and shoulders is a must.  I would like to see a new permanent structure that would be staffed with enough personnel to be able to inspect and sterilize water craft 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  These personnel would be trained technicians for the prevention of Quagga and Zebra mussels.  As residents of Rich County, we need to insure that our Beautiful Lake never get contaminated by these invasive species.  Thank you for your support.

Commissioner Tom Weston
Rich County

No comments: