Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Muddled Male


Tiger
 
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

 
         I have always been a model of obedience and compliance in spite of what Ann, my wife, might have told you.  Suffice it to say that any negative comments she may have made to the contrary are to be ignored since she has been known to carry a grudge for a very long time.  Take Tiger, for example.  Tiger was a stray cat we took in about forty-five years ago when we were a young married couple living in Washington State.  Even though I was kind enough to allow Tiger to eat and sleep at our place free of charge, his demeanor toward me always seemed to be a mixture of arrogance and disdain. 

            Tiger loved to lay on our driveway and warm himself in the sun.  So much so that he considered that spot in the driveway as his personal and private property.  Each time I would approach the driveway and try to drive the car into the garage, Tiger would just lay there and stare at me as if to say, “This is my spot and you better not try driving past here.”  His game of chicken would always end at the last second with a quick little sidestep to avoid me running over him as I drove the car into the garage.  And then came that fateful day when he didn’t sidestep.  Actually, I don’t know whether he forgot, or just moved too slowly in his declining years.  Whatever the reason, we held a nice memorial and then buried him in grass town, a place in the woods where the neighborhood dumped their lawn clippings. 

            I thought that after Ann’s initial tirade against my ineptness as a driver, things would calm down and we could go back to being friends.  Silly me.  The untimely exit of Tiger continues to come up every time Ann becomes upset with something that either I do wrong or I didn’t do but should have.  Forty-five years later I am still being punished for that minor flaw that crept into my otherwise sterling character all those years ago.  Today, as I am writing this column, it is our fifty-ninth anniversary and I already know what Ann will say when we sit down later today for a celebratory supper at a nice eatery where I will order my usual extra-large portion of buttermilk-battered French fries.  Instead of, “Bob, my darling, thank you for sticking by me all these years.  I have loved every minute of our time together.”  I suspect she will say, “I should have known that someone who would run over my favorite cat would order that culinary disaster.  Your gastronomic choices have filled my life with long periods of worry and despair.” 

            A week ago I tried a dry-run of our planned celebration of Ann’s birthday hoping to develop a husband/wife communication technique that would help me avoid the reprimand I was certain to receive at the real celebration.  We were in Logan, so I took Ann to Chick-Fil-A, one of her favorite places to eat.  She loves the grilled chicken, and I love the waffle fries.  Especially when she happens to forget that a waffle fry is just a lacey version of a French fry.  When we arrived we found the place full of people.  I don’t mean kind of full.  I mean chuck full as in almost no place to sit.  There were adults, teenagers, and a whole bunch of little ones running in and out of the play area dropping food and spilling drinks as they ran back and forth beneath the sign that said, No drinks or food in the play area.  And the adults who were supposed to be watching them were oblivious as they busily chatted with each other.  The reason for all this activity, we noticed from the sign at the entrance, was that this was customer appreciation day, and anyone who came in dressed as a Holstein cow would receive a free chicken sandwich.  We were surrounded by people wearing cow’s ears, tails, faces and arms covered with Holstein spots, and a few customers with make-believe udders.  Because Ann and I were the only customers dressed as people, we were the only ones who had to pay for the chicken sandwiches we ordered.  We completed and paid for our food, fought our way to the only two seats available, sat down, and then Ann said, “All these people in cow costumes are cute.  Tiger would have loved this.  Too bad someone didn’t allow him to live.”  And that is how our dry-run ended.  Well, maybe I am exaggerating a little, but I knew what she was thinking.

No comments: