Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Musings Of A Muddled Male


Convenience or Exercise?  That is the Question
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

        Ann, my wife, lectures me in a gentle but firm manner about lots of things.  Most lectures stem from the fact that my affinity for sweet things is coupled with an aversion to exercise.  Ann claims that she has to lecture me because if I don’t change my ways and become healthier I am going to expire and leave her alone up here on the hill.  If the truth were known, however, I am guessing that in her former life she was a nutrition professor and just enjoys lecturing.  Take this morning for example.  It was a chilly day as I began this column, and Ann was insisting that we keep the thermostat down to our usual sixty-nine degrees Fahrenheit because she is adamant about saving Propane.  When I slipped on my winter coat to sit down at the computer in our den, she assumed that putting on a coat meant that I was going outside.  When I told her that I just trying to keep warm while typing my column, she told me to man up, a little cold is good for me.  Of course it could be worse.  My friend the Professor’s wife insists on sixty-six degrees Fahrenheit maximum in his house.  A contrasting comparison is my lucky Polish friend whose wife likes him to keep the temperature in their house closer to seventy-four degrees.  I have tried to get my Polish friend to adopt me but Ann put the kibosh on that by telling his wife that I would be a pain in the neck.  When Elvira said that she already has enough pains I knew that my chance to be adopted into a warm home had just been thwarted.

        Ann’s lectures about sweets are general discussions about sugar being bad and fiber being good.  But our disagreement over exercise is more complicated.  I like convenience.  Ann likes inconvenience if it means I will be forced to walk.  Take parking, for example.  If Wal*Mart would let me I would park inside the store where they keep the shopping carts so that my walking distance would be minimized and I could load our car inside, out of the weather.  Ann, on the other hand, insists that we park a quarter mile away in the far corner of the parking lot so that I am forced to walk at least a half mile just to get a box of frozen waffles.  The same goes for shade.  I like to park in the sun with the windows rolled up so that for just a few moments after first getting back into the car following shopping I can feel really warm.  Ann insists that I hunt for the shade of a tree at the edge of the parking lot so that the car stays cool while we are shopping in hopes that the frozen things we just bought stay frozen until we get home.  I know her real reason, however.  She is just trying to condition me so that I think that sixty-nine degrees back in the refrigerator where we live is actually warm.

        Then there are our disagreements over the assortment of tools I keep in a drawer in the kitchen so that they are handy and able to be reached without me having to walk.  Ann feels strongly that tools (pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.) should be kept with the saws and drills in the garage so that reaching them requires me to go out in the cold and walk to retrieve them.  My argument for storage in the kitchen is that such tools are for quick repairs and need to be kept close to the area where emergencies happen.  Besides, I argue, those same tools can double as kitchen utensils when needed.  I use the pliers all the time, for example, to crack Pistachio’s, pull the hard-to-remove aluminum foil seal off the top of my snack time yogurt container, and remove hot waffles from the toaster.  A screwdriver works as a handy skewer for use in toasting marshmallows over the open flame of our propane cook stove … provided that Ann doesn’t catch me using propane.  But the hammer is used only for the finest of delicacies.  You know those succulent, big as a catcher’s mitt, battered shrimp that you used to get at the Utah Noodle in Ogden, Utah.  You may be surprised to find that a shrimp doesn’t grow that way, it has to be pounded out flat with a mallet.  And that is where my hammer comes in handy.

        It was then that I saw the look in Ann’s eye and realized that I was about to be the shrimp and she the mallet.  Out of respect, or maybe fear, I decided to move the tools and my computer out into the garage and start walking.  Next I plan to purchase an inclined treadmill so that I can do lots of uphill walking while checking emails on the new iPhone I am planning to slip past her during her reverie over my new regimen of exercise.

No comments: