Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Cisco Sonar


Red Mountain Castle

By Bryce Neilson, The Character

I am drifting around Rich County constantly.  I always try to go down roads I have never travelled before to see where they go.  Sometimes they go to BIG TROUBLE.  Too steep, too rocky, too slick, too much brush or the biggest problem of all, no place to turn around.  Sometimes they go to great spots.  I have flown over the County many times in a small plane and have seen it all from the air, but it is different on the ground.  I will be sharing some of my finds in the future.  I won’t tell you where they are.  That is your job.  If I don’t  know its name for it, I make one up. 
Southern Utah is famous for the rock formations, but Rich County has them too.  My favorite is the “Red Mountain Castle”.  It is formed by nugget sandstone.  It is called that because of all the small different rocks imbedded in the sandstone.  It is also known as an oil bearing layer.  I go here a couple of times a year to poke around, see what is living or what has died between the spires of the “castle”.  No garbage, graffiti and few tracks of humans.  It is a great place to reflect on your place in the world.  You will feel my presence if you ever go there.  I plan on returning this spring when things are green. 

 

No comments: