Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Friday, October 28, 2016

Second Home Resident Votes No On Rec Center

To The Editor:
Some thoughts on the proposed rec center. 

To give you some background,  I don’t live in Garden City, but am looking to buy property there within the next few months and build there later on as a secondary homeowner.  I grew up in Laketown, worked in Garden City and love Bear Lake, but am not in love with the idea of a new rec center as I understand it.  If I were to build a secondary home worth $400,000, not receiving the tax exemption as residents do, I would be paying nearly $600 extra per year in property taxes.  If I were to then buy an annual pass for my family I would need to pay at least that amount again.  Here are four of my thoughts:  

1.     I agree that a rec center would help extend the season and has the potential to be a great asset, if done right.  I think a indoor pool aimed towards families would draw the most money and value, something similar to the St. George or Tooele aquatic centers.  I could see a lot of single-use fee money coming in from that.  Throw in some other high-adventure-type activities and this could really extend the season and be a lot of fun for the youth.  I don’t see tourists using this as a gym or weight room to any large extent, ...possibly the six pickleball courts however. (I’m joking on the pickleball of course) Certainly a gym and some racquetball courts would be used year around, but 6.3 million dollars seems like an awful lot for that amenity. 

2.     There are a few other things that seem off in the posted budget.  I am not sure who estimated that the center would bring in $16,500 from league fees, but that would never happen.  The center would be lucky to have leagues, period, let alone collect sizeable fees. The contingency case on the city website states that the rec center could lose close to $50,000 a year on operating expenses. To me it seems like a little more study and discussion would be warranted to avoid a gamble like that.  

3.     I hate to see this being promoted as a possible location to house an elementary or elementary gym. It would be disheartening see a very small school morph into two extremely small schools.  Mayor Sphuler recently said, With the majority of North Rich Elementary School kids coming from Garden City, there is a growing need to build an elementary school in our town….recreation centers serve a dual purpose. During school hours the recreation center is used by the school's student body; however, when school is not in session then the facility is open to the public thus maximizing resources and tax dollars.”  These comments make me wonder if there are motives other than what has been promoted behind this project.  North Rich Elementary is one of the best in the state with great personnel and facilities.  I would hate to think of the friendships that would be forfeited if this rec center turned into “Garden City Public Charter School.”

4.     There will be other chances to vote on a similar bond.  If I were a full time resident, I would vote yes, but not now.  I would wait until more details were made public, until more money was saved, and more people were in agreement.  It has got the community thinking, that’s good, but I would hate to see this done without more consideration.  If it does pass, I guess I’ll have to give those lots in Sweetwater one more look.  I hope the residents make the right choice.

           Travis Eborn

1 comment:

JSSox said...

It is nice to get the thoughts of those who are not currently living here.

I did want to correct some of Travis's misinformation though, so that people are making a decision on correct information.

A $400,000 second home would pay about $530/year (instead of $600) and then to get an annual family pass would be $360 (not the $600 you implied). It would cost $600 if you were not or resident or 2nd home owner.

1. I just want to point out that Waters Edge (a large development coming to Garden City) plans to build a big pool with slides, etc. I know not everyone will be able to use the pool at Waters Edge, but it would take away enough people from a city aquatic center to make the city aquatic center less sustainable. If it wasn't for that happening, I would be all with you. I always use aquatic centers when we go on vacation.

Your joke about pickleball fell flat to my ears :) (I love pickeball!) But more importantly pickleball is one of the fastest growing sports in America (http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nightly-news/pickleball-the-fastest-growing-sport-in-america-199360067605). Go to St George, UT...there are probably 40+ pickleball courts. I think there are some 20+ courts in Brigham City. There is a lot of potential for pickleball tournaments.

Thanks for spending time to craft an opinion on the rec center. Good to have many points of view. (Also, see my lengthy post elsewhere on this newsletter/blog).