Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Musings Of A Muddled Male - The Last Column

Vanity
By Bob Stevens, The Muddled Male

       In 1972, Carly Simon released a song titled, You’re So Vain with words in the chorus that said, “You’re so vain, you probably think this song is about you, you’re so vain, I’ll bet you think this song is about you.  Don’t you?  Don’t you?”  A song purportedly about a former boyfriend, or boyfriends.  She kept the secret of who, with teasing hints for something like 38 years.  Well, it has been my experience that men or boys may subconsciously think they are hot stuff, but you couldn’t tell it from the way they dress.

       For example, men rarely worry about how they look when they get dressed.  If it keeps us warm in the winter or cool in the summer, we don't worry much about whether everything is coordinated.  That is why a husband doesn’t seem to understand when his wife asks, "Do you really think white gym socks and lime-green athletic shoes go with that formal tuxedo?"

       A woman, however, only feels secure when she looks as though she just stepped out of a Neiman Marcus display window.  She really worries if she thinks that someone might notice that she has worn the same attire before, or if another woman in her social circle has the same article of clothing and there is the slightest possibility that both might end up at the same event at the same time and be wearing the same outfit.

       A man, on the other hand, will wear the same suit and tie for ten years.  Twenty if his wife doesn't notice that the cuffs are frayed.  He only takes the suit to the cleaners when he can no longer bend the legs over the pant suit hanger.  And if he has two suits, they look so much alike that you might not be able to tell them apart.  It is not unusual to see a gaggle of men at work looking like they are going to the same undertakers’ convention with pencil, pens, and an oversized phone in the breast pocket, and bulging side pockets from carrying an assortment of supplies that might be needed sometime.  Imagine a woman’s purse, and you have seen the side-pockets of a man’s suit.

       The thing that started me thinking about this subject was a tale my friend the Numbers Wonk told me about a recent cataract surgery for which he served as chauffeur.  It caught my attention because another friend's wife had the same experience.  You go in having difficulty seeing, it takes a few minutes for them to remove the cloudy lens and insert a new plastic one, and out you come with the vision of a teenager.

       After getting new vision a man will look in the mirror and see right past the balding head, the wart on his nose, the two-day beard, whiskers growing out of his ears, the paunch, and say, "I can see.  It's a miracle.  Give me my clubs, I'm going golfing."

       A woman on the other hand will look in the mirror, look right past the beauty and the clear vision, and say, "I have wrinkles. I can never leave the house in daylight again."

       That is why it is a good thing when a man is part of the marriage.  Otherwise, who would be willing to leave the house to pick up the mail.

And now on a personal note.  I have been writing this humble attempt at a humor column for more than nine years, a total of 291 stories.  And I am tapped out of ideas.  So, I have decided to take a sabbatical to allow me time to ponder and think, and gather a few new ideas.  I may write a column from time to time, if an idea hits me.  And if the editor thinks it is worth including and can find the room.  But it won’t be on a regular schedule.  It has been fun, and I thank you for your willingness to accept a little of my idea of humor into your life.  I just hope that you have enjoyed it as much as I have.  Oh, and Ann my wife wanted me to tell you that I made all that stuff up about her.  Actually, she is a saint for letting me use her as my straight-wife.

ED Note:  Bob Stevens has been one of our favorite columnists so we will miss his wit and charm, hopefully Ann will do more to stimulate his brain cells and he will write from time to time so we don't have too much withdrawal.


     Bob Stevens

     muddledmale@gmail.com

No comments: