Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy

Was it worth it?
By Mel Hanson, The Eighteen Wheeler Philosopher

For some...possibly no? For some...a grateful and thankful yes.

Ever since it was completed in 1982...the Vietnam War Memorial...became the Monument I wanted to see the most if I ever had the opportunity. Last week that opportunity became a reality. It’s a beautiful monument and humbling to see. Definitely a sacred place of honor and sacrifice.

My son, Jacob, and I made our way from the Lincoln Memorial down the pathway to the two stands that hold the books of the names on the memorial panels.

Lilo Elmer Aldous (Sonny), Sept. 15, 1968, is found on panel 44W, line 60
Charles Floyd Kennedy, Oct. 17, 1967, is found on panel 28E, line 26

Charles Floyd Kennedy is from my hometown, Garden City, Ut. He’s the son of Clyde and Ilene Kennedy, brother to Sue Lutz and Gaylene Wamsley. I don’t remember SGT Kennedy ...but his oldest son, Monty Floyd Kennedy, and I are the same age, best friends until he moved from home...we’re still best of friends even though we haven’t seen each other in years. Monty was only 6 yrs old when his Dad died. I can’t imagine what it was like for him to grow up without his father. My parents and brother, Randall, thought highly of SGT Kennedy. He’s laid to rest here at home.

I’ve posted quite a few times about Sonny. He will always be remembered as my big brother!  For he truly was!

As Jacob and I neared panel 44W, line 60, a shorter panel as it’s out near to the end of the west wing of the monument, my heart started to beat a little harder and faster, emotions started welling up inside me. When we stood in front of the panel...counted down 6 stars (10 lines in between stars) I saw Sonny’s name close to the bottom of the panel.  I stood and looked at it for a few seconds, then knelt down and....touched his name. With my son's big hand on my shoulder... I tried to blink away the tears...and breathe past the huge lump in my throat, had an extremely hard time catching my breath as memories of Sonny ran through my mind. I stayed knelt there for awhile until my son hooked his powerful hand under my arm and helped his ol Dad to his feet...and stood in silence by my side until I could talk.

There was a female park ranger there rubbing names off the Wall onto paper. Jacob asked her for a couple of pieces of paper and a marker so we could do the same. She very politely gave us what we needed and Jacob rubbed off Sonny’s name onto the paper.

Gwenda and my daughters came and we went to panel 28E, line 26 and Memmy rubbed off SGT Kennedy’s name to paper. Again a tear fell from my eye as I thought about my friend Monty losing his father at such an early age for both of them. He’s not seen his Dad for over 51 yrs!!
I was amazed at the number of Vietnamese people there atThe Wall. And the majority of them had a piece of paper and a marker rubbing off the name of a fallen soldier. Most had tears in their eyes as they were doing this.

I couldn’t but help think to myself that since they were here in the USA, that perhaps that particular soldier helped them gain, and died for, their opportunity/freedom to be there remembering and honoring them at The Wall.

Most Americans, the history scholars, and books say, Americans lost the Vietnam War. I’ve never believed that.  And I bet you’d have a hard time telling those Vietnamese people, with tears in their eyes, remembering those soldiers whose names they were rubbing off onto paper enjoying the Freedom to do so, the same thing!

As we were leaving the monument I wanted to take another look at Sonny’s name. An older gentleman holding a Vietnam War Vet hat in his hand was standing looking at the panel also, his wife was softly crying and his eyes were tearing as well. I asked him if he’d served in Vietnam.  He said yes, and pointed to...then touched...two of his buddies names that he served with, both killed the same day, 17 days from going back home! I shook his hand and thanked him for his service. I told him the nation will never give the Korean and Vietnam Vets their just dues.

With a lump in his throat, his reply was  "God will.”

No comments: