Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Eighteen Wheeler Philosophy


Wave away! It just might make and save someone’s day.
By Mel Hansen

I’ve been working for Daren and Tricia now for a titch over 3 years and in that time traversing the freeways and highways of the good ol U S of A, I’ve had the blessing of seeing some spectacular views and meeting a wide variety of people who have educated me in a lot of ways.

I have traveled through many states, each have their pros and cons. I believe if you really want to experience this nation by driving, drive the back roads!  The freeways are for quick and less mileage to get to your destination. The back roads let you see the small towns and a more friendly type of person.

I used to believe that the western states were the “friendliest”.  In my observation these past three years, the western states, even traveling the back roads, pale terribly in comparison with the Midwest and Southern states in giving a friendly wave of the hand to all they pass.

I believe the back roads of Nebraska and Kansas are the best states for getting a friendly wave of the hand. Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, Georgia are good at a friendly hand wave as well. Maybe it’s because these small farming/ranching communities rarely see new faces, but I’d like to believe that they wave at everyone, even more so at the familiar faces!

I know that a hand wave from a new face helps improve my attitude.  Sometimes the vigorous way of a person’s hand wave makes me laugh, but always puts a smile on me mug and breaks up the monotony of a long day of driving. More importantly, it encourages me be just as friendly and return the hand wave and smile, maybe even making someone’s day a little bit better?

Let’s all do better in putting down our social media devices (making the roads that much safer when driving) and get back to socializing with a smile and friendly hand wave.


No comments: