Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Un-muddled Mathematician


The Un-muddled Mathematician

Chris S. Coray

Cold doesn’t bother me.  Having to shovel snow doesn’t bother me either, and my wife, unlike Ann, the wife of the Muddled Male, never helps with a snow shovel so I don’t have to sneak around trying to regain my breath after a nearly fatal exertion.  That isn’t to say I don’t occasionally lean on the shovel and ponder the beauty of this place, which coincidentally allows me to suck in enough air to continue.  But I confess the nearly relentless hard wind of the past two months has made me cranky.  Besides undoing all the snow clearing with deep and hard drifts, the long night time howling keeps me from sleeping.  It has even gotten to Bobbie.  The audio signal of the wind makes it impossible to get enough rest.  I was even talking today to a neighbor who told me that instead of a panic room in their house they have designed a “quiet room” in which most of the wind noise it muffled.  It is the only way they get by.

I wrote that the wind has made me cranky and that attitude needs an outlet.  It is an easy hunt.  I have come to the unremarkable conclusion that the strength of a storm has nothing to do with actual meteorology.  For earthquakes, we have the Richter scale, a well-defined physical quantifier.  On the other hand for the weather we have the IBS, or the “idiot in boots scale”.  National news sources, especially the visual ones, measure the strength of a storm by the number of people over whom the storm travels, not any intrinsic quantifiable storm physics.    So as we watch the storms in the east they are disproportionately exaggerated compared to even bigger ones out west because there are lots of people living in the east.   So the talking head on TV cuts to a camera trained on their local idiot, who is wearing rubber boots of some length and colorful jacket (with logo), standing in water or in snow, and we get a great but local video of a dummy who is too stupid to come in out of the storm (I suspect only for two minutes).  I have reached the point where I hope for a giant wave sweeping the guy out to sea or a snowplow going by and just burying the guy in a really big splash.  “You stay warm out there, Sid” come the words of comfort and warning from the anchor.  Meanwhile, I am chanting, “Big wave, giant wave, please”.   It hasn’t worked yet.

To be fair, this inequity in storm reporting is not confined to faraway places.   For example, the Salt Lake channels pretend that they are covering the weather statewide instead of what they are really doing, observing just outside their studio.  An occasional reference is made to “small disturbances” along the Idaho border, not even noting that the laminar cyclone is living at Bear Lake, Utah.  For these folks I’ve often dreamed of a yet-to-be-developed technology.   This device would allow me to hurl a banana cream pie through my television set, magically striking the local weather person in the face, with the words, “Bear Lake says Hi” on the crust and visible on the screen.  I’ll pay big money to the developer of this technology.  And I’ll buy the pies.

Now I’m going to work on my plans for the safe room in my house from which I cannot hear the wind.

No comments: