Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Muddled Male

By Bob Stevens,
The Muddled Male

Ann’s New Computer

             Ann, my wife, decided that she wanted a computer of her own.  Those of you who only know us in passing are probably thinking, "What's the big deal, Bob?  Lots of wives have computers.  Aren't you making a Mount Everest out of a teensy weensy mole hill?" But those of you who really know us know that this is a BIG DEAL in our family.  To misquote Neal Armstrong "This may be one small step for Ann, but it is one giant leap for the Muddled Male."  In fact, I am having to work exceptionally hard just to appear nonchalant while inside I am churning with uncontrollable glee over the opportunities I see rolling down the path before me.  

            Ann, you see, has always pooh-poohed the importance of technical gadgets as a means of making one's life complete.  I, on the other hand, have been known to sleep with my iPhone in my hand, my iPad under my pillow, my desktop cooing in the corner, and my laptop on and humming under the bed just in case I get an important call, text, or email in the middle of the night; or have an uncontrollable urge to surf, create, or type out some brilliant prose that came to me suddenly because I woke myself up snoring.  Re-reading this it suddenly strikes me that this may be the reason Ann has been sleeping on the couch instead of with me. 

            But if Ann is going “techy” there may be hope for me when the iPhone 5s or 6 comes out later this year.  Ordinarily I have to sneak down to the AT&T store to get a new phone under the cover of darkness and then try to disguise it to make Ann think that it is the same old phone I already had.  Ann’s desire to get a new computer, however, means that I can now just walk in boldly with the sun shining brightly on my bald spot and plunk down the $200 in pennies, nickels, and dimes that I have been squirreling away in my change jar for the glorious day that Apple will give me the privilege of standing in line all night just to place my name on the coveted “list for future orders” they keep on hand for Apple addicts.  In the meantime I am preparing myself to answer Ann’s always piercing question, “Why do you need a new phone?  What will the new one do that the old one won’t do just as well?” 

            Well this time I am prepared.  I will simply say that I need this new phone to retake my one-upmanship position back from Tom and Peni who each already have an iPhone 5 while I am left to fumble around with an antiquated iPhone 4s.  And besides, Ann, my wife, now has a laptop with a Windows 8 operating system with lots of bells and whistles while I am left to creep along with a 5-year old computer and Windows 7.  Life just isn’t fair.  Unless, that is, I can parlay Ann’s new computer into a brand new computer for me so that I don’t get too far behind as a result of being stuck using old technology. 

I’m afraid, however, that I just may be stuck with what I have.  Ann peeked over my shoulder as I was typing this and instead of offering sympathy, she callously said that I should just “man up” and stop whining.

 

No comments: