Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Garden City District Fire Chief Dan Kurek: Resignation Letter


To the Garden City Fire District Board and Constituents:

I have enjoyed working for and with the residents of the Fire District for the past 5 plus years and I feel that the Fire Department has grown and improved tremendously. I have also enjoyed working with the volunteers during this time. We have some of the best trained, and equipped firefighters in the county!

The first 3 years were the most productive years with a fire board that worked very well together and with me. The past few years have not been as productive with a very dysfunctional board and one that does not see eye to eye with me on many issues. I feel that part of the problem with the board has been, the  lack of presence at the board meetings for some board members. Three board members combined have not been present at 53% of the meetings which does not help to make educated decisions on the boards part for the constituents. And we have to remember that is why we are here, to do what is best for the constituents as a whole, and not carry our own agendas or the agendas of the few.

 When emails are sent between board members and the secretary and some board members are left out of the loop and the Fire chief is left out also, we have a problem. If it is going between board members then it is most likely a fire department issue and even thought the Fire Chief is not a board member, he is in charge of the Fire Department and needs to be kept in the loop on all matters.

The reason I have firefighters wanting to get on the board is because they are very discouraged with the way the present board has been performing.  From my point of view there is nothing more discouraging then losing a good, highly trained fire fighter to a board position and this is not good for the constituents either. Remember that it is their tax dollars that have trained and equipped these firefighters.

I have tried in every way possible to give the constituents of the district their best value for their tax dollar. I have tried to keep costs down and spending at a minimum. In the past 5 years we have paid off the fire station ($200,000.00) even though the impact fees were not there to make these payments. I cut corners where I could to make the payments. I also have brought in over $100,000.00 in grants to purchase much needed equipment. For the most part, the feedback I receive from the constituents is very positive.

I have a couple of very attractive offers at this time in my career and feel as though I would not be doing my family justice if I did not pursue these offers. If the Garden City Fire District would like to entertain a counter offer that could match either of my present offers I would consider their offer. If the Garden City Fire District chooses not to make an offer then they can consider this my letter of resignation. If the latter is the outcome of this letter, then my final day of employment will be the 18th of October 2013.

                                                                                                                                                                Sincerely:  Dan L. Kurek

No comments: