Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Monday, July 15, 2019

Eighteen Wheel Philosophy


Trucking buds!
By Mel Hansen

We’re back! I can’t speak for Ol Action Jackson, my nephew who went trucking with me, but I had a great time having this young man ride along with me out to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and back!

For going on his first trucking adventure...with a Uncle he’s only gone to one basketball game with to get to know a little better, he was the perfect passenger! He was quiet going out most of the way...but he finally started warming up in conversation...and we became great buddies!

Of course I’m gonna tease him...which I didn’t do much of until yesterday morning... and that started him laughing and smiling and talking more! The young man can take a tease... and I believe he’ll give as good as he takes.

He’s a easy keeper!  He knows how to work a microwave with perfection and can entertain himself when needed.

He’s super observant.  I hope he liked what he saw and will store it in his memory banks.

He didn’t tear up, or say he wanted to go home once! But I think he teared up when his mum came and picked him up, which is great!  He should! Being away from family for 4-5 days at his young age may make him more appreciative of his mum and dad and little brother and sister.

As for me?  I’ve gotten to know my Great Nephew a little better! We’ve become friends! I have faith in the future because of intelligent, well mannered, young men like Jack.
Having him with me brought back thousands of memories of me being my Uncle Stan’s shadow when I was Jacks age. I loved every second I spent with my Uncle Stan (my dad’s big brother) and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of him, which always puts a smile on my face, and quite a few times a tear in my eye. I learned a lot from him, but what I learned...and miss the most...is that he genuinely loved having me tag along with him and teaching me!

Hopefully I can be in some small way...as genuine and patient as he was... and give a little of myself and time.


No comments: