Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Summer Eats at Bear Lake

Scott Heiner
Rich Civic Times


As summer gets into full swing at Bear Lake, things really liven up with activities and visitors galore.  One thing that especially catches my interest is the variety of eateries here.  I’ve decided to give my take on the many options, focusing first on new places that have sprung up.

Ephraim’s Restaurant

This new place has opened just south of the Shell station on the Logan Road.  Their theme is based on the story of the mighty grizzly bear, Old Ephraim, Utah’s largest and most legendary bear.  A better symbol of Bear Lake I can’t imagine.  Ephraim’s has a great frontier atmosphere, and equally great food.

We recently took the grandkids there and I was impressed with their extensive menu. They feature a wide variety including hamburgers, fish sandwich, fish and chips, Chicken Cordon Bleu and salads.  Curious foodie that I am, I had to try the most unusual item, “The Meateater.”  Between two toasted halves of a large hamburger bun are stacked in order: ham, a hamburger patty, cheese, another patty, bacon, and all topped with BBQ pulled pork.  It was so huge that I could only eat half and took the rest home for a second round.

The lunch and dinner combos all come with fries and a soft drink, but I decided to upgrade my drink for a raspberry milkshake.  I thought it was very good, but I had to get the opinion of my wife, the milkshake and ice cream gourmet.  She gave it top rating.  The grandkids appreciated the Kid’s Menu including hamburgers, corn dogs and chicken nuggets.  Ephraim’s also serves breakfast, featuring pancakes, French toast, breakfast burritos and scones.

Joe and Becky Weeks of Paradise, Utah purchased the former “Jake’s Place.” They have kept the same basic décor but have made significant improvements.  Joe Weeks is a member of the Weeks Family which runs “Weeks Berries of Paradise.”  Started by Joe’s father, Mervin Weeks in 1985, Weeks Berries grows their own fresh Raspberries, Currants, Blueberries, Blackberries, and Strawberries.  These fresh berries make their way into Ephraim’s menu of milkshakes.  Their full selection is impressive; nearly 40 flavors such as Peanut Butter Cup, Snickers, Butterfinger, Mango and Hazelnut.

Ephraim’s also sells a variety of fruit juice drinks from Weeks Berries of Paradise.  I bought a bottle of Black Currant juice and it was a winner.  One other item on Ephraim’s menu caught my eye: “Dutch Oven Chicken and Potatoes.”  In my opinion, anything made in a Dutch Oven is wonderful, so I’ll be going back before long.

No comments: