Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Eighteen Wheel Philosophy

LIFE CHANGERS!
By Mel Hansen, The Eighteen-wheeler Philosopher

(Editor note:  Last issue I called it a sixteen wheeler after Mel had
painstakingly told me the difference.  Senior moment!)

There are life alternating events in each of our lives...some are good...some not so good. I have 12 in mine. They've been so profound that I can tell you the date..the place...and give or take 5 minutes...the time.

My 12th...life altering event...occurred this past Friday, Jan. 20th. I received the top left photo first as I sat in my truck at a truck stop..in heavy fog covered, Mankato Minnesota, at 19:55 hrs. It took my breath away for a few seconds!...thought my heart was going to thump out of my chest...and I'm not ashamed to say...a few tears rolled down my cheeks!

Meet the first...of hopefully many...Grandchild for my pretty little wife and I!... Charlee Gwen Hansen. (I've nicknamed her..Gidget) To me..she's the most gorgeous little lady I've seen! I've waited for her for such a long time and she's finally arrived to two outstanding and loving parents...my pretty little daughter-in-law, Chelsey, and my firstborn, John Sherril. The picture on the right I love! Proud Dad...but getting as he said...The Look!!...I'm sure the first of a gazillion he'll get from his daughter! But the reason I love it the most...John also...is because it's the same...Look!!...my Mum would give me...and John Sherril (My Mum always called him by his first and middle name)...when she was slightly miffed at us for something.

I've yet to actually meet this little angel in person...to hold her...speak to her...kiss her...tell her that her Grandpa Hansen is her favorite person in the whole world!🙄...but because of modern technology I've received pictures, videos and FaceTime chats!

Traveling back I've had hundreds of miles of reflections!...the life Altering event of John being born! Thinking to myself that...I'm responsible now for him! A different feeling of love that occurred in me as I held him for the first time. Instant feelings of doing whatever necessary to protect and provide for him! Thanking God for him!...hoping and praying that I would be able to teach him about where he came from...why he's here on earth... and where he'll go when his time here is through...how to work!...be a good man and a contributing person to society. I fell short in some of these areas...but his Mother hasn't! She's taught our 4 children all the things they need to know! I love her!!


All those feelings I had then for John Sherril...I have for Charlee. I'm looking forward to being a fun loving Grandpa! Now that I'm...supposed to be a little more.."wise"..hopefully I'll be able to be as good at it as my Grandma Hansen was with me..as both sets of grandparents were/still are with John...in giving wisdom, encouragement...at times even..."The Look!"...when necessary....but most of all...my unconditional love and prayers! My little...Gidget...already holds my heart in her tiny little hands!

No comments: