Contribute news or contact us by sending an email to: RCTonline@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

On the Accident

Jason Wade Matthews

So this evening as I surveyed the wreckage I was in awe of all there was to see. The driver of the truck had no experience coming down a steep grade and crashed into the garages of a popular condominium complex here in Garden City. 

Normally I just see broken stuff, items that can be replaced. Rubble that needs to be cleaned up but tonight was a little different. Tonight I saw sentimental attachment to the rubble in the aftermath. I saw a woman break into tears as she saw her youngest child’s four wheeler completely smashed. She saw memories just destroyed, nothing can replace lost or destroyed memories. It moved me to see her emotion come to the surface. And then I saw a little girls bike mangled on the ground and a thought hit me, had it been Friday the little girl may have been on that bike. 
Thankfully no life was lost but for some folks, precious memories were destroyed in seconds. My heart breaks for that poor woman, she taught me that it’s not just stuff.

Master your craft, if you can’t do your job well then don’t do it. For some of you, lives may depend on it. And never say,”that’s what insurance is for.” 

It’s been said that UDOT will not respond to such things until after there’s been a death, well here is the second semi vs building in Garden City. A chief deputy for Rich County Sheriff has been run over by a run away semi. At least four other semi roll overs coming out of the canyon that I know of. Countless calls about semi brake fires. When is it OK to say no more? Who will listen? 

I don’t hold contempt for those who know how to handle a semi in mountains so please don’t think that much but I do hold contempt for the CDL mill drivers. I hope something changes after this, next time we may not be so lucky. If that driver turned left today.......this would have been a much worse story.

No comments: