Box ElderBugs
One of my true nemeses, the Box Elder bugs are here since they
never left this summer. They are commonly known by entomologists as
"scentless plant bugs" which is a misnomer because the can release a
pungent odor to repel predators. They
are around all the time feeding on plant leaves but are not seen in large
numbers until fall when the adults start to seek out areas to overwinter. They are also known (Bobbie Coary will love
this) as "Democrat bugs" because they show up in October near the
elections. They came out for the primaries
this year. I have never seen so many in
the past 52 years. They love to suck
the fluid of the seeds of Box Elder trees and other member of the Acer family which include maples and
there are plenty of where I live in Bridgerland. They can fly up to two blocks so forget about
cutting down trees to minimize their numbers.
This fall I noticed huge concentrations feeding on the seed pods of my
lilac bushes. I promptly sprayed them
with Permethrin which kills them immediately and is safe to use around
everything else. I then sprayed around
the house foundation and under the vinyl siding which seems to be a preferred
wintering site. They love warm south
facing buildings. Their numbers are
highest after hot, dry summers and frost-free fall which means to me that the
prettier the leaves the more Box Elder bugs. Unfortunately, the lack of a cold
winter has allowed their numbers to increase beyond belief. Now,
even though it's hot, they're out by the thousands landing on you and being in
the house, car and everywhere else. Not sure what it will be like when we
finally get a cold snap and they must find a place to go. I would love to tell you that my pesticide
treatment (for the chemophobes use a vacuum) solved the problem but it didn't.
They continued to arrive. Now I can deal
with them outside, but when I pour a cup of coffee in the morning and find one
swimming in the cup my mood changes. Not
much we can do but tolerate and cuss them and hope for cold weather which I
really don't want to do. The ones lucky enough to find a crack to stay in will
survive and the others will perish.
Bryce
No comments:
Post a Comment