Ciscos Sonar
Raspberry Days is coming up and I was thinking about how it
all began. It has been over 20 years ago
and my memory is fading but this is what I can recall. It may be right or wrong. It started when Bess Huefner (as part of the Bear Lake Chamber of Commerce) approached the
City about putting on an event to bring more people into town. Bear Lake was in the doldrums since the
recent failures of the undivided interest scam at Sweetwater and Bear Lake West
that affected lots of people who invested in the area.
We decided to create Raspberry Days since Garden City was
known for LaBeau’s Famous Raspberry Shakes.
There were still large raspberry fields around the area. I don’t remember the year but the first
festival was held on the lawn by the church.
It was a one-day craft fair and parade (I think). I wrote about it in Ciscos Sonar on August 9,
2003.
Well, it
appears that we survived Raspberry Days for another year. It was a great event with a wonderful crafts
fair. I am sure that some visitors and
kids were caught off guard when the parade was on Thursday, but it was a
necessary change. We simply out grew the
Saturday event and there were too many other things to do and people to
meet. The boat parade was good to see
again and the fireworks were spectacular.
There were plenty of raspberries to go around this year. It is amazing what good precipitation and
weather will do. It wasn’t many years
ago that people were predicting the demise of the Bear Lake Raspberry due to
disease. The efforts by the growers to
get rid of old decadent plants and replace them will young healthy starts has
paid off. Bear Lake will always have
Raspberries.
Things have changed since then. Some people didn’t like the crowds and the
associated problems, but I believe we made the right decision. It was always about the Town providing
something for our summer residents and visitors. It used to that Raspberry Days was the big
weekend, then it was the 24th and now it is every weekend. So, let’s embrace it whether you decide to
participate or not. It is something Bear
Lake will always be famous for.
No comments:
Post a Comment